Monday, January 15, 2007

The Tribulations of Hard Drives

Okay, my computer is still running, now with a 160g C drive and a 400g D drive. But what doesn't seem to be working yet are some of my graphic programs and the dvd/cd drives will only work for Pan.

You might recall that Pan writes accounting programs. What that means for me, is I get to test all the new operation systems for him. Actually I was somewhat surprised I managed to get this far along without Vista being loaded. Then again the Nuke was here when he got the beta version and brought it home.

I totally understand why Pan doesn't load it at work and I don't have a problem having them loaded on my system. By the time they come out for the public I have gotten pretty use to it. It's that first 6 months that drive you crazy.

Like I had huge icons on my desktop; the wallpaper was stretched all out of shape and I had icons under the sidebar. First lets address icons. These are not a problem for Pan as he only keeps 2 or 3 on his computer; but puts an icon for everything on mine and I want my icons there as well. I know you shouldn't, but it's my desktop. Well they were huge, I could see them clear across the house without my glasses. Arrggggg. I did what any smart woman would do.... I opened the help files. Sure enough there was a fix and my icons are now tiny again.

Next was the icons hiding behind the sidebar. They were icons I was using but it was the point of it. Actually it didn't make any difference to me until I fixed the wallpaper, which I just made a new one and replaced the original. Worked like a charm, until I realized there were icons that ended up on the sidebar I needed. Again a quick peek at the help files and guess what. Yep that's right, it's fixed.

Speaking of the sidebar, I really wasn't sure how I would like it, but I think I do. I have a calendar, so I always know what day it is; a temperature gadget which gives me a good indication of how I need to be dressing (and it beats checking out my blog site). Scrolling pictures, for just because (I will figure out how to put my own in just as soon as I am up to reading the help files again, LOL). Sticky pad and my contact list. Anyway here is what my desktop now looks like:

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Kind of. Looks like there still may be some graphics issues. Oh well, that now falls in Pan's domain. So crossing my fingers by this time next week, the bugs will just about be weeded out and I will be back full swing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Tink, since you're going through all this pain, and since your system is obviously a bone fide business tool of Pan's (by definition of the Internal Revenue Act 1842) I believe it is Pan's responsibility to ensure that you recieve upgrades and latest versions of all software programs thereon. I rest my case M'Lud.