Thursday, January 25, 2007

Toilet Roll Tribulations

Wed 1/24 Blog Prompt: There used to be a veeeeerrrrrrryyyyy long thread here at DSP about this topic, let's see what you all have to say about it!

According to a physics professor quoted by Ann Landers, to get the toilet paper roll to turn requires a certain torque, which comes from the tension in the paper being withdrawn. The greater the distance between the plane of the paper being pulled and the axis support line, the lesser the force required and the lesser the chance of tearing the paper before you have enough.

(Yeah, I'm not sure what all that proves either.)

Which camp are you in: Should the toilet paper be hung so the paper dangles over or under the roll?


I prefer over, but will not get my undies in a wad of it is the other way, mainly because I also know who can keep from changing the roll is the one in charge and that just happens to be me. :)

1 comment:

Roses said...

Over.
If there is a printed pattern on the paper, then it is right-side up.

I'm just happy as a clam that my children replace the roll when it's empty. So, I'll take the paper either way!