Thursday, May 21, 2009

Seeing Red, Blood Red

Blog Prompt - Today is American Red Cross was established on this day in 1873. Have you ever given blood? If so, tell me about your experience.

And this leads to a very interesting story. First, I am terrified of needles. Not sewing needles or I would never get any cross stitch done. But those which some evil people feel they have to poke you in force for no apparent reason. I use to have a tendency to pass out.

Though at one time while I was working for an attorney, he was charged with heading up a blood drive. I spent hours calling and cajoling other attorneys into setting up appointments to give a little of themself. I finally realized my boss had not set one up and pressured him into it by saying that I would give blood but he had to as well and he had to do the driving since I would probably faint.

The fateful day came and he and I headed out to the blood van to do our part. He was at one end of the van and I was at the other. I had a very kind and courteous woman drawing blood who kept me focused on anything other than what I was sitting there for. Afterwards she gave me a glass of oj and we talked for a few more minutes just to make sure I wasn't going to fall over when I got up.

Then we heard a commotion at the other end of the van... My boss had passed out. I ended up driving his car and we went to breakfast to replenish our strength, then drove us both back to the office.

Seeing Spots (c)Elka Romero; Fonts: Arial, Hurricane SupaDupaSerif

No comments: