Friday, May 02, 2008

A Letter of Tribulations to the Future

Mon 4/28 Blog Prompt: Write a message for a time capsule to be opened in 100 years.

I was going to combine this week's prompts into one post, but after I got started on this I realized this one really deserved a post of it's own. :)

April 28, 2008

To Whom it May Concern:

As you are reading this 100 years have elapsed. I stare out my computer room window and see the bright green of our front lawn and an overcast day. I am wondering who might be reading this and what would be of interest to that person. Are you a distant relative, a great-great-great granddaughter/son? If so, hopefully the genealogy that is encased with this letter will still be intact. Your aunt and I have worked on it for many a year together. She has done the most work but I am glad to say that I have been a contributor.

If you are not a distant relative but an archaeologists of sorts (will they still be around in 100 years? I like to think so), I think you will find the enclosed material to be just as profound in your work. But I am sure you would also like to know a little more about our age and era.

Living here in this place and time, our biggest worries on the coast always seem to be the hurricanes that crop up between May and November each year. This year I haven't yet heard the predictions, but the past couple of years they have been off quite a bit. Still the years preceding had been devastating to the Gulf Coast and South Florida regions. Blue roofs can still be found throughout the area.

The war in Iraq rages on. And I am grateful that my sons are now out of the military, although I was quite proud of them in their service to our great nation. There are contenders on both sides. Those who think we need to pull out and those who think we need to finish what we started. I guess there will always be two sides of thinking in every war.

There are more reality shows on than I care to think about. And if our television signals are stretching the far reaches of space; and there is other intelligent life among the stars, I dread to think what they must think of us. Personally, I prefer the more "mundane" science and history shows. Computer generated movies are being a big fad and are appearing more and more often. Within the next decade or so, I well image that we will be able to eliminate "real" actors all together, if we desire. And we will be able to bring back some of the greats.

I wonder if the day to day activities will be pretty much the same for you as for me. Sleep, get up, eat, then either go to work or play on the computer for a while before starting housework, time for relaxing in the evening and them back to bed. Will the town I live in still exist, surrounded by a military installation and the ocean? Will it still be as pristine and beautiful then as it is now? Will the mayor of our neighboring city have won his bid to have the training facilities moved? If so, will our town even exist at all except in memory?

In closing, I am glad I had to the time to write to you and I hope this finds you well.

Tink


So Everything kit (c)DigiDiva; Template by Fei-fei's Stuff; Font: Arial

No comments: