Monday, June 25, 2007

Tribulations of Teenage Jobs

Mon 6/25 Blog Prompt: Did you have an after school job as a teenager? What kind of job was it? What were you paid? What is your best and worst memory of the job?

Not a leave school and go to work job. I worked as a babysitter and made pretty good money at it. Of course, this was back with you only charged 50 cents and hour, LOL. Boy is that dating it. Still I was pretty good at it and had my regulars that usually paid more than what I was charging.

My best memory was watching two children, who for convenience sake, I'll call Ben and Robin. Robin was the sweetest little 6 year old, an angel with a severe case of mental retardation. She was well loved by her family, especially her 8 year brother, Ben. Ben was also a sweetheart, but whereas Robin had to be handled like a 6 month old, Ben was a genius. A real true genius. I would love to know what happened to them now. I really enjoyed my time with both of them.

They are also my worst memory. It was painful to see little Robin and realizing what her life was going to be like. And how hard it was going to be on little Ben being so smart.

2 comments:

Beachcomber said...

Ah yes babysitting. I babysat for our neighbor's 2 kids on Saturday morning so she could sleep in.

Glynis said...

Life is unfair, isn't it? Thanks for sharing the memories.