Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Teenage Tribulations

Tue 6/19 Blog Prompt: Moving on in life, as a teenager what do you feel were your greatest achievements and worse mistakes? Have these achievements and/or mistakes helped to make you a better person? Or did they hinder you as you proceeded into adulthood?

Whoa. Greatest achievements as a teenager? What in the world was I thinking about? As with most teenagers I know or have known, it seemed to be a way to stay out of trouble.

All kidding aside though, I don't know if I would consider them achievements, more like strengths, and they would include good grades in school. I loved school, especially science, history, P.E., English and Latin. Oh, that just about covers them all doesn't it? Suffice it to say, I really liked school. I would have been a perpetual student if it didn't mean failing to do so.

As to mistakes, what teen doesn't manage to do that one occasionally. But I think the most embarassing one was when I asked one of my favorite teachers to participate in the Roman slave day we were having. Not thinking and not making the connection when I asked, I was most humilated when I realized why she declined. You see, she was African-American. It was a case of mouth before thought and had I taken the time to think about it, I would have never approached her for this particular event. She definitely was a better person than I that day. No she didn't hold it against me and was most understanding when I figured it out and apologized. Still it was devastating to me.

Did I learn from my achievements and mistakes? I like to think so. I have never stopped loving to learn. And each day brings forth a new discovery. And I now try to think how what I say may affect another before opening my mouth. I still fail on this one, but I try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Greatest achievements as a teenager?"

In my case, it was surviving my own stupidity.

Over and over and over :-)

Anonymous said...

that's funny about the slave thing.

I once asked my favorite teacher (and I swear I didn't mean to be mean) when she was going to die so I could make sure to be at her funeral.

Ugh!