Friday, June 08, 2007

Memory Lane Tribulations

What with the trip to South Carolina and having Scamp and the Ballerina home for two weeks, it seems I don't have time to do anything anymore, LOL. But since I am providing the prompts this month, I thought I might be a good idea if I also did the posts. Maybe next week will be better.

Tue 6/5 Blog Prompt: You are between 5 and 10. You are going on vacation (or moving). What form of transportation was used to get there? Did it take long? And what did you do to entertain yourself while traveling?

Although we did travel by plane, most of my memories are in the car. And being carsick. Something that I, fortunately, have outgrown. With dad in the Air Force we moved around quite a bit.

Mom and dad always bought the newest Superman and Archie comic books for us to read (can you imagine what they might be worth today, lol). And we had car games like license plate bingo. You actually use to be able to buy the bingo cards with windows that slid over when you got it. I tried to do a search but was unable to locate any. Shucks.

Wed 6/6 Blog Prompt: As a child did you have your own bedroom or did you have to share? What was it like? Did you spend a lot of time playing in there or was it reserved for sleeping?

Being an Air Force brat there were times when I would have my own room and times when I would not. Most time I had to share with ddpup. I didn't mind. She was just a little extension of me. I rather thought of her as my baby doll most of the time. We were always playing Barbie's or house in the bedroom. But we spent more time outside when the weather was good, making clover necklaces, playing hide and seek

Thu 6/7 Blog Prompt: Let's move up to elementary school. What school did you attend? What was it like.. big, small, etc.? Did you ride a bus or walk? Take a lunch or buy? What was your best memory there and what was your worse?

As stated above, I'm an AF brat and went to several elementary schools. Spend the longest time in the one in Arkansas; but also went to elementary school in Florida and California. In both Arkansas and Florida I rode a bus; but occasionally in Ark. I could walk to school.

I am sure there were occasions when I actually took my lunch to school; but the lunches I recall the best are hamburgers on Wednesday and fish sticks on Friday.

While there may have been some bad memories (like the year, my dad made the paddle for my teacher in third grade and when I wouldn't finish my work in first grade so I didn't have to go out on the playground, or in 2nd grade when all the kids gathered around the open restroom window to try and watch me tinkle, etc.), most of them are fond and funny. Giving a Valentine card to my favorite guy in 4th grade; my fifth grade teacher telling us that paper was made with worm guts so we would stop chewing it in class; being a TOT (teacher of tomorrow) in 6th grade and having a teacher whose birthday fell on February 29.

One day in sixth grade my uncle brought my telescope up to the school and we all got to watch a solar eclipse through it. I was pretty proud that I was the only one in the class that had a telescope and one with a sun filter at that.

Fri 6/8 Blog Prompt: As a child, did you have any imaginary friends? What were their names and what did you do together? If not, do you wish that you had and why or why not?

I didn't have any imaginary friends so to speak, not like the bug anyway. I had a another little sister who I could play with and we did. Although one year I convinced her that at night I would shrink very little and visit the little people who lived in a hole in the ground in the backyard. During the day, we would gather small rocks and make furniture for the little people.

But bug was another matter all together. She had an imaginary Alligator. She also scared the pants off mom, when on the interstate on time, she started crying about leaving something on the top of the car. I'll leave it to her to complete the story.


From the FP camera that Nuke bought Indy... a picture of the Ballerina.

4 comments:

Whitehorse14 said...

I see you've been busy doing up the blogs....lol.

Enjoyed your ventures a lot. So how come you Ladies from the U.S. were able to purchase lunch at elementary schools?????boohoo, no fair....here in Canada, where I lived, we had no such luxuries..lmbo.
God Bless Tink

Beachcomber said...

Cute story. So what did she leave on top of the car?

Anonymous said...

I loved reading those stories...but Ballerina's expression is just so precious. Tired of the drive, is she?

Unknown said...

LOL. No, she was tired of Indy taking her picture.