Friday, February 02, 2007

Weathering Tribulations

Friday 2/2 Blog Prompt: Happy Groundhog Day! I know you Down Under types are thinking, "those crazy Americans!" But I've done some research, and we can actually blame Groundhog Day on the Romans, or the early Christians, or European Celts.... Groundhog Day is a traditional festival celebrated in the United States and Canada on February 2. It is a cross-quarter day, midway between the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox. In traditional weather lore, if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If the groundhog sees its shadow because the weather is bright and clear, it will be frightened and run back into its hole, and the winter will continue for six more weeks. [from Wikipedia]. Some of you are just now getting winter weather, while others are right in the middle of summer. Are you looking forward to a change in season or are you enjoying it as it is? Let's talk about the weather!

Weather, we want to talk about weather? I am so hating weather right now. If it would just make up it's mind what it wants to be here. One day in the 70's and by that night in the 20's so that the next day is in the 40's and by that night we are back in the 60's again. And so on it goes. No wonder everyone here is sick.

Whether (pun intended) the groundhog sees his shadow or not, I just hope which ever way it falls that the weather stays consistent here. If it rains it gets cold, if it rains it gets hot. Arrrggghhhhh...... I just want consistency. I don't even mind the rain. Like yesterday when it was so bad that it was dark all day. I had to work but it was great to get home, change clothes and curl up on my bed with a good book and watch Amazing Planet narrated by Patrick Stewart.

Last night I had to turn on the A/C; this morning the heater. So please Mr. Groundhog, don't waver on this, either see your shadow or don't; but don't sit on the fence about it.

6 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I have to admit, that it is consistent here. Consistently cold!!! I'm coming to visit, you won't need to put the A/C on! lol

GUYK said...

the varmit don't dare show hisself around heah, grounhog stew ain't bad eatin and he knows it

Glynis said...

I would definitely take 70's and rain over -2 deg and 50 mph winds which is what we've got here. Can I come stay with you ? :)

Unknown said...

More than welcome Glynis although you may want to wait until we have the boat in the water.

Unknown said...

ugh! dont u hate it when the weather is all over the place! it was like that all last month here, and of course i was sniffling! changing weather like that really throws out my sinuses...very annoying!

*love2scrap* said...

20 degrees in florida? yikes! I hope you didn't get the twisters there.

Like Glynis, is it below zero with the wind chill. brrrrrrr. But snuggling up with Jean-Luc sounds toasty! ;)