Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Artsy Tribulations

Tues 2/6 Blog Prompt: The first thing I made that I considered art was . .

my cross stitch. I'm going to toot my own horn here, I really do beautiful cross stitch pieces. Most, if you see them from across the room you really can't tell if they are cross stitch or paintings.

I normally work on linen and several years ago had gotten a Mirabella angel pattern that I made for my uncle. It was an extremely lovely pattern, but I thought there was more that could have been done. So on the face, hands and other small areas, I started stitching over one thread rather than 2. I liked how it turned out so much I started doing it with other pieces. Then about a year later, I noticed that the new patterns coming out had instructions on how to do it. Oh well.....

The other thing, is there is not much difference between the front and back of my pieces. I have to be careful when framing them or having them framed.

This is the one I made for my uncle:

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

I need to get a better picture of it one day.

This is the one I have been working on for my mother (and maybe now that I can get to it, I can get it finished). By the time I bought this pattern they were putting the hands and face over one thread in the instructions. I still need to put the wings on and have a feathery type thread to use instead of the recommended one.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


I have never been one who could think of something off the top of my head to draw, paint, etc. I work better with a pattern to follow and put the effort into making it just enough different that it is still my creation. And I have sold several of my pieces, so I guess I have done alright.

It's just that I am a left-brain thinker, I am more comfortable with numbers and calculations than with a pen or paintbrush. I think that is why I like cross stitch so much, it's a counting thing......

5 comments:

Stephani said...

Oh Tink those are gorgeous! WOW! You are very very talented...I am just blown away by these. You do excellent work! I also love cross stitching but mine come know where close to what you do!!

loonyhiker said...

We are SO much alike! I love cross stitch too. You are right about it being the math thing. I don't have a lot of time right now to cross stitch but as soon as I retire, I have several projects that I need to finish.

Meg said...

Oh my goodness, those are gorgeous!! My MIL does cross-stitch, and I have several of hers framed and hanging in our home. I absolutely love that one you're doing for your mom, so elegant!

carin.c said...

Gorgeous - wish I had that much patience - I need to learn to slow down.

Anonymous said...

Heavens! I can't imagine having the patience for that...