Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Monitors of Television and Tribulations

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from DOVE, apparently a child's advocacy group, to get television "cleaned" up.

Now before I step on any toes, let me explain, I fully support groups like CAC. There are a lot of children who need more than some group telling them what they can and cannot watch on television. If DOVE really wants to help children then let them spend their money helping to provide medical treatment for children whose parents fall below the poverty level, fix a meal and take it over, or better yet, take a spin babysitting while these parents work.

I happen to believe parents have the ultimate responsibility for what their children watch. I don't want any group telling me I can't let my children (or in my case, grandchildren) watch Harry Potter, Charmed, or for that matter Stargate. And do you have children or grandchildren in school now? If so they are probably being bombarded there with what is real and what is not real. I know Princess Z can tell the difference between a real life story and a fiction. AND if she is not sure, she asks.

I know that I am being a bit sensitive about this, but I have always made certain what my kids were watching, and if I wasn't sure about it I watched it with them.

So the question is: Where does it stop? And I bet the people who work this group like "Wonder Pets" too. And you don't even want me to get started on that one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said...people are letting 'Big Brother' take over without even a whimper in protest.

Roses said...

I am in total agreement with you, on this one.
Mrs. Who makes a good point.

You reminded me of this story.

http://ackthbbbt.blogspot.com/2007/02/ack-reading-rainbow-incident.html

Come on over for a chuckle.

Anonymous said...

they left a message on my machine so now I know what they're about so thanks!

michele
lettersfromnyc.mu.nu

Anonymous said...

I must admit. I get annoyed with people who seem to think that the responsibilities of parenting their children belong to teachers or government groups. I realise that the pressures of life and work make it difficult to devote the time and energy that this often requires. But unfortunately it comes with the territory of parenting.