Monday, July 06, 2009

Florida Fried Chicken

Mon 7/6 Blog Prompt: Today is National Fried Chicken Day. When was the last time you had fried chicken? Describe the event, and the taste.

Oh, another one of those food prompts, LOL. I don't eat a lot of fried food (which leads me to wonder why, as Indy so succinctly puts it, I am fat). But I did make fried chicken four or five months ago. I fry the drummettes (wing portions), dredging them through a mixture of flour, salt (lots of it) and pepper (lots of it too). Placing them in the hot oil I let them get a light golden brown turning them at that point. Putting on a cover and reducing the heat, they continue cooking for about 10 minutes more. Off comes the cover and one more turn for good measure and a few more minutes. I drain them on paper towels (or paper bags if they are handy). Once cool, into the fridge they go (if Pan and the kids let them stay around that long) for a nice dinner the next day.

I prefer my fried chicken cold rather than hot. And if I have gotten the right mixture of salt, pepper and flour, the drummettes will have a light crispy coating and be a wonderful accompaniment to home-made potato salad and baked beans. And if you want to through in some turnip greens with onions and corn bread, I think I would be in heaven.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Good meal right there now. I have some green beans on the stove right now that I snapped today. Can't wait.

loonyhiker said...

Yummm! This sounds wonderful. Thanks for the directions. I think I will make some fried chicken soon.