Friday, June 26, 2009

To forgive is divine

Fri 6/26 Blog Prompt: Today is Forgiveness Day. Do you have something to be forgiven for? Or do you need to take the time to forgive someone else?

v. for•gave (-g v ), for•giv•en (-g v n), for•giv•ing, for•gives
v.tr.
1. To excuse for a fault or an offense; pardon.
2. To renounce anger or resentment against.
3. To absolve from payment of (a debt, for example).
v.intr.
To accord forgiveness.
________________________________________
[Middle English forgiven, from Old English forgiefan; see ghabh- in Indo-European roots.]
If we go by #2, then I should probably forgive my ex. LOL. Goodness knows I have harbored a deep resentment and anger against him for far more years than we were ever married. Deep down I know it takes two to make a marriage and two to break a marriage, but there still lingers that feeling that I went above and beyond to make it work. Realistically, I know he feels the same way. Ergo, I need to renounce my anger with and resentment of. Maybe later. :)

As far as someone forgiving me, yep, that applies. And maybe one day they will realize it. Until then I won’t hold my breath

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

I have a really hard time forgiving people who wronged me. I keep hoping that I will learn how to do this but I haven't reached that place yet. I know you should forgive and forget but I don't want to be around anyone who has stabbed me in the back. I guess I don't want to forgive and forget even though I know that I should.