Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Creative Writing

Tue 6/16 Blog Prompt: From creative writing prompts. Using one of the sets below, use all the words in your chosen set to write a mini story of 300 words or less.

Set 1: paper clips, principal, lunchbox, swing, girl
with a pink ribbon
Set 2: biology, class card, foreign student, leaf, blood
sample
Set 3: typewriter, filing cabinet, puncher, clerk, carbon paper,
janitor


It was beginning to be one of those days. I had awaked with a headache and no aspirin and water in sight. Already I was running late for my interview. The clerk had been specific when telling me the time and emphasizing that I was to be on time or not bother coming in at all. I was hoping that if I hurried I could make it there on time. I ran the entire way.

As I walked into the office, the janitor was just walking out and it seemed as if he was taking some important pieces of equipment with him. How did he manage to fit that filing cabinet in his trash can? And was that a puncher I saw shoved in the can beside the cabinet? Something is terribly wrong and I can’t figure it out.

The clerk called me in to begin my test by handing me a sheet of carbon paper. Things were getting stranger all the time. I was directed to an ancient typewriter in the middle of the room surrounded by desks that looked as if they were brought in from a local school. I tried placing the carbon paper in the typewriter but it would not fit. As I turned, it looked as if all the desks were leering at me. Daring me to succeed. The harder I tried the worse it became; turning, rotating the paper, nothing worked. And where was the typing paper? Surely I was not expected to type just on the carbon paper and when was my interview going to start.

Panic started to set in; then I sat up and realized I had just been dreaming. I looked at the clock and it was beginning to be one of those days. I was running late and the headache was starting to set in.

Boy I'm Fallin (c)Colie's Corner; Calendar (c)Kristmess

2 comments:

Glynis said...

Good one, Tink! Great prompt!

loonyhiker said...

Great story! This was a great prompt and I really enjoy reading the stories from this!