Saturday, May 12, 2007

Tribulations of Superman's Mom

In my Tribulations of a TV Mom, I chose Martha Kent from the Lois & Clark television series.

Karen of Scraps of Mind (if you haven't ever checked out her blog, you should) made this comment:

"How can you say that Superman would have been hard to raise Tink. The boy never put a foot wrong. Never got into trouble with the law. Never brought undesirable girlfriends home. Never was seen in disreputable place. And, perhaps most importantly of all, could lift up the couch when she was vacuuming."

And my response:

Have you seen him when he has gotten ahold of red kryptonite? What about as a youngster while being instilled with the morals and values that he was raised with? Can you imagine having to deal with a super toddler having a temper tantrum? (and if there is a toddler out there who hasn't had one, I'd like to meet them.) You may end up with matchsticks of a couch to vacuum up and at that point you wouldn't have to have him lift the couch for you. Raising a "super" child, to me anyway, would seem to be an impossible task.

Then there are the teenage hormones to deal with. To get a good idea of what Clark Kent may have been like as a teenager, you really should watch "Smallville." In one episode, against his parents objections, he joins the football team. (Sound like any kids you know?); in another, under the influence of red kryptonite, he races to Las Vegas and gets married to that 'disreputable girl'. Yep, I think the Kents had their hands full with a "super" child to raise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Fair comment Tink. Smallville has lifted the covers on those years that the comic books largely glossed over.

Maybe Clark wasn't Captain Perfect like I always believed. Sigh, another illusion shattered.

Thanks a lot for the complement about my blog. Much appreciated. Without feedback like yours it's hard to know if the things I'm posting are interesting to others or just to me.

Glynis said...

Great post...I'd never thought it about it like that! And I would HATE to see a SUPER TANTRUM :)

Anonymous said...

And can you imagine the super-diapers?

No way.

vw bug said...

Happy Mother's Day