Thursday, January 09, 2014

Flamingos or Flamingoes?

Flamingos or Flamingoes are a type of wading bird in the genus Phoenicopterus, the only genus in the family Phoenicopteridae.
There are four flamingo species in the Americas and two species in the Old World. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Phoenicopterus
Rank: Genus
Wingspan: 90 – 105 cm (Lesser Flamingo, Adult)
Length: 90 – 105 cm (Lesser Flamingo, Adult)
Lower classifications: American Flamingo, Lesser Flamingo, More
Height: 110 – 150 cm (Greater Flamingo, Adult), More
Mass: 1.2 – 2.7 kg (Lesser Flamingo, Adult), 2 – 4 kg (Greater Flamingo, Adult), 2 kg (James's Flamingo, Adult)
I don't remember the pink flamingos but I do recall the bird bath. It was a fixture in the yard for many a decade and may still be there for all I know. Next time we are over that way, I'll have to run by and check it out. And I wonder if this is where my dad's "hate" (more of a love/hate relation) of flamingos began?

No comments: