Friday, October 12, 2012

A scent of the past

As I walked into the room, I noticed a light scent of something in the air. I stood there racking my brain trying to figure it out. It was a scent that I should have been able to identify immediately. There, a light breeze blows it over this way. The air conditioner fan must have turned on. Still, I cannot place it. Where I have a smelled it before?
 
It is bringing back memories of an small, old house where the rooms just seem to run into one another. We had some fun times in that house. Or more importantly in the yard, where a magnolia tree scraped the sky and bamboo held our own private jungle. A walnut tree perfect for climbing and spiky walnut husks that dug into the skin.
 
Still the scent eludes me. It is from that place and time, I just know it. But I cannot seem to identify it. I must move on, people are staring at me wondering what my problem is. It is rather silly for a grown person to stand and stare into the distance.
 
Maybe tonight I can relax at home and ponder the meaning of the scent. That is if I remember it or remember this moment in time.

No comments: