Friday, May 26, 2006

Art and Tribulation

DSP Blog Prompt of the Day: Is creating "beautiful art" more important than the process of creating?

This one brought back memories of a time gone by and I realized then (and now) that the process is definitely more important than the creation. All of my children (and now my grandchildren) have had access to any and all art supplies that I could find. Nuke and Bombshell have won awards for their art. Nuke even has a degree in fine art. But it was Scamp's artwork that drove home how much more important creating is than the final creation, at least to my mind.

He was in elementary school and one of the classes you have to take is art. Which by the way is graded, go figure. One day he had drawn a field with a horse and fence. But it was not exactly like the teacher wanted so he got an F on it. Now explain to me how you can get an F in art? At least the "art" part. It is one thing if you are being tested on the types of art and who did them.

Anyway, because of this teacher's flawed teaching, he has never been as interested in art as the other two. The really sad thing is that it was a great picture. Art truly is in the eye of the beholder, so the final creation cannot be as important and the process and love that goes into creating it.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

6 comments:

Glynis said...

Great opinions--very well said. I can't believe anyone can get away with giving a kid an 'F' on something so subjective. Wow.

loonyhiker said...

What a shame that a teacher would do that to a child! In my class, if anyone tries their best, they will never get less than a 70. It seems like that teacher was just plain mean!

Meg said...

BOOOO to that teacher! How rotten! I'm so sorry that has ruined his feelings about art. The same thing happened to my mother when she was in school and she still thinks she's not artistic. Hate that!

Anonymous said...

Man don't you just want to kick teachers who do that??? OK flunk the kids who don't show up, or who don't do the work, but to fail someone who's vision is different than your own? Thats just wrong...and so un-"art" if you know what I mean, that I can't even believe that it happens so often.

I had a similar experience in a drawing class, I drew my whole life and then in 9th grade decided I couldn't draw. I'm so glad I found another artistic medium that gave me the confidence to try again.

ArtcTrish said...

Oh that makes me mad!!!!!!! I wonder how many artists have had their drive squelched by some teacher who thinks he or she knows it all!!!! A "F", are you kidding????!!!!

Anonymous said...

Depends on what was being graded on - if the teacher was telling the kids to do a certain technique, and the child continually says "screw that, I'm gonna do it however I want," that's F material for not following instructions.
If the purpose was to just do whatever you want, there'd be no reason to have a class... just sayin'...