Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Catching up

Tue, Sept 9 Blog Prompt: Did you have P.E. in junior (middle) and/or high school?

Of course I did. And we had to wear uniforms. The one I remember best is the orange and white one-piece uniform. They definitely were not made to be sexy or anything like that.

The p.e. class I remember most fondly was in my senior year when one semester was devoted to what they called "recreation." We learned sailing, canoeing, fishing, shuffleboard, chess, darts, croquet, biking, edible wild plants and various other "recreations" that we might encounter in our adult life. What is now, I believe, lost arts, LOL. Many of the things we learned are those that were popular for genteel people at the turn of the century.

Of course there were some not so fond memories, like the time I had to take the canoe out by myself and then return. I got 3/4 of the way across the resevior and then just turned in circles. The teacher had to send someone out to help me. Or the time a snake dropped out of the tree into my canoe.

Yep, real memorable moments.

Wed 09/09/09 Blog Prompt: Does this day have special significance to you?

Normally I probably wouldn't have even noticed that it was a special day, and that we won't see another single digit date again until 01/01/01 (Jan. 1, 2101.

That all changed yesterday when I got into work and my computer was working so slow that it would have taken me nearly 10 minutes to write one check (that does not include printing it). After doing all I could, I told my boss that I would come in today to enter the tickets and write the checks. Arggg. This is not looking to be a good day.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I wish I had PE with you when I was in school. It sounded wonderful. Of course the canoe story was pretty funny (even though I tried not to laugh, honest!)

Tammy said...

Wow, that sounds like a great time in PE. I would've liked that for sure.