Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nuts Ahoy

Thurs 10/22 Blog Prompt: Today is "National Nut Day." Describe what type of nuts you like to eat. Don’t forget…your favorite type may come in “creamy” or “chunky.”

Macadamias top the list right now. I have had a craving for them for weeks (months) and just bought another jar tonight. Use to be cashews, but for the last 10 or so years macadamias have set my heart aflutter just thinking about them. Of course, buying them fresh in Hawaii 3 years ago just expounded the feelings that coursed through my thoughts when they are brought to mind.

I am not sure just how to describe them though. Hard while still being soft? And I like them either salted or unsalted. I love scrapping them against my teeth and getting a fine dust of macadamia that the flares through my mouth and against all my sensory buds. The sweet, woody taste that compliments any red wine you may have on hand is the perfect ending to any meal.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I have never tried macadamian nuts but now you have me wanting to try them. I will have to go find them next time I go to the grocery store!

Harvey said...

I had hickory nuts when I was a kid, and remember them being VERY good.

Sadly, I can never remember what time of year to go looking for them - too soon, and they're still in the trees, too late, and the squirrels have picked them all up off the ground.

Haven't had them in years :-(