Sunday, October 24, 2010

Not winey at all

Yesterday a friend and I headed over to a wine festival at a local winery. Originally there were suppose to be 6 or 7 of us, but between unexpected company, migraines, general sickness and working to much, just the two of us went.

We had a wonderful time looking at all the wares of the vendors, listening to music from our era and, of course, wine tasting. You got about 2 teaspoons of each wine you tasted. Just enough to rest on your tongue and absorb the flavors. I tried their spumante, white zin, merlot, carbernet sauvignon, noble muscadine, wild honeyflower, blueberry, blackberry and chocolate port. Just about all their wines were on the sweeter side, except the cabernet and merlot. Much sweeter.

Small glasses (and I mean small) of the blueberry and blackberry would be a great accompaniment to cheesecake. And the chocolate port would be great with a copy of dark rich coffee. I only came home with the merlot though. I wouldn't drink enough of the others.

They had a great sangria slushie made with their noble muscadine. DC and I each had a glass of it and sat at a table to talk and listen to the music. Shortly after we headed out, buying those things we saw along the way. I got a really cute painted wine glass ornament, a copper & bronze bracelet to wear to Nuke's wedding (if I remember it) and a darling denim skirt purse for the Princess.

On the way back we stopped at a local seafood restaurant for lunch. DC had an oyster sandwich, I had the shrimp. The food was good but the service was lousy. Took nearly 30 minutes to get sandwiches. When they came there was only the seafood and bun, no lettuce, tomato or pickles. Loads of cocktail sauce and tiny containers of tartar sauce. Once I got extra tartar sauce I dove into mine with gusto.

Afterwards I took DC back home and she showed me the work she had done to her patios and what she had been doing in the yard. All with a real glass of wine, LOL.

As for the picture below, any of us who live in a certain part of the south, no doubt recognize this stretch of road and for us old fogies remember when it was the only way across the bayou.

No comments: