Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Memorial Day. A day in which we honor those who have or are giving of their time and lives to secure our safety in an imperfect world. I have had in the last couple of generations, many family members who served in the Armed Forces, my father, U.S. Air Force; my father-in-law, U.S. Navy; two brothers-in-law, U. S. Marine Corps; an uncle, U.S. Marine Corps; a cousin, U.S. Army. Fortunately for me, while several of these family members served during the Vietnam conflict, none lost their lives in a war effort.

I have two boys. Both of whom joined the Armed Forces prior to 9/11. Sometimes when I think about it, if I had known what the future was going to bring, would I have still expounded on the virtues of a military career? I like to think I would have. I am proud of my boys. Although each time one has to be placed in danger, my heart skips a beat (or several). I love my boys and praise the choices they have made in their adult lives.

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Scamp and Nuke at Scamp's
graduation from Boot Camp


On May 16, George W. Bush, declared that Memorial Day, May 29, 2006, as a Day of Prayer for permanent peace. So whether you believe in God or a higher being or not, please take a moment, to remember all those who have given of their lives, those who are doing so and those who will follow in their footsteps.

4 comments:

Meg said...

My dh got out of the Army a couple of months before 9/11, and then re-joined 9/12. Bless you for being so supportive! And tell your sons thank you!!

Judyy said...

My father, brother, dh, and I have all been in the Navy at one time or another. Big thanks to your boys and to all of the younger generation who take their turn at the watch.

loonyhiker said...

My father was in the army in WWII and my husband was in the Navy during the Vietnam War and I'm thankful for what they've done for our country. I'm truly greatful for all that your sons are doing for us now! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Gabby Faye said...

Well said. Excellent testamony from a mother of military sons. THere is a special place in heaven for moms like you.