Thursday, August 20, 2009

Alarming Day

Well, I made it through another birthday with the skin still attached. I spent some time reading, knitting (Pat, I finished a hat, lol), getting Ancestry updated with the obits and trying to figure out if I needed to evacuate the building.

The hotel's fire alarms went off all day long. The first time I went to the room door preparing to leave when the maid told me the batteries were getting low and they were sending someone to fix them. But after a couple of hours, I called down. The desk told me they were having a fire alarm malfunction. Presumably, if there was a real fire after that they would have called, right?

Pan took me to the Airport Grocery for dinner. It is definitely a local place and the smell when you walked in was heavenly. Heavenly if you like true barbeque. I had the pulled roast beef, which was so tender, baked potato and salad. I know I should have had the slaw. The waitress brought me some of the restaurant's homemade gravy (that is the way she likes it) to try out. Yummy. Everyone was really great, didn't hover, but were there when you needed to be. When I asked for a glass of dry red wine, the bartender called his girlfriend to find out which one was the driest. Now that is service.

So if you ever get the chance to drive through Cleveland, Mississippi, make plans to have a meal at the Airport Grocery.

UPDATE: The Holiday Inn Express breakfast had bacon today. :)

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

I was at Myrtle Beach for my husband's conference once and during the afternoon I took a shower after returning from the beach. When I got out, I heard an announcement throughout the hotel that "Everyone may return to their hotel rooms. The fire alarm is now over." I was pretty upset that I never heard any kind of alarm and I don't take long showers so I called the front desk and was told not to worry about it because it was just a drill. They said the alarm probably didn't work on my floor and they would look into it. I didn't sleep well the rest of the time we were there.