Saturday, August 12, 2006

Morning Telephone Tribulations

As if I had mentioned it before, Bombshell has been working some really horrendous hours. Like until 2 in the morning, making it nearly 3 before I get to bed. Normally I am up by 7:30 as I want to be somewhat awake when she drops off Indy at 9.

But today is Saturday, her day off. So I was going to sleep in (since I didn't get to sleep until 3:30). No such luck. At a little before 9 the phone rings. Now there is a phone on Pan's side of the bed, but does he hear it? NO (and then he wonders why I can sleep through his alarm). So I stumble out of bed and into the living room to get the telephone.

It is JS. "Good morning Tink!" In a voice that is way to cheerful for that time of the morning, especially from one who is normally still slurring his words at that time of day. "Did I wake you?" Duh, do I sound awake? "Oh sorry, I seem to be making politically incorrect choices." Actually this time he didn't, normally he calls at 6 in the morning and, for a change, he actually wanted to talk to Pan. Two minutes in to the conversation though we were disconnected. I'll let Pan call him back when he gets up.

JS and Pan went to school together, ran in the same circles and generally did dumb boy stuff together. Pan went of to become a computer/technology guru while JS graduated from law school. Maybe therein lies the "problem." See, when Pan and I married, I worked for an attorney. I loved my job and adored my boss. He was one of the best men I have ever had the occasion to know.

Still it was at this time that JS decided that I was his new best friend. He would take me out to lunch and then come over to our house on the weekends to visit. That is until he made his most heinous politically incorrect statement. For a period of years he was banned from the house. We had no contact with him. But about a couple of years ago he called and actually apologized so we have been seeing him again periodically.

And I am still his new best friend. The one he calls at 6 in the morning or at midnight. He is still politically and morally incorrect. So why do I put up with it? Because below all the rhetoric he really does have a heart the size of Texas. Of course, he has an ego the same size, lol.

So now I am up and semi-conscious (and he just called back. I gave it to Pan), and trying to decide what I can do in such a catatonic state.

2 comments:

Gabby Faye said...

Yeah...those friends we get along with the one we love!!! OD came with a whole pack of old high school buddies and more professional friends. ACK!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he hasn't changed one bit.